Hutch update

Discussion in 'Region 16 Board' started by bluff_sideliner, Mar 10, 2017.

1. bluff_sideliner

bluff_sideliner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Here's what we have after tonight and MAJOR upsets of No. 1 South Plains AND No. 3 Northwest Florida State! And No. 7 McLennan lost Thursday.

If I am right, 14 teams have qualified for Hutch.

District 1 -- Southern Idaho at Arizona Western (championship)
    District 2 -- Connors State vs. Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa (championship -- loser gets zone bid)
    District 3 -- Monroe
    District 4 -- Highland (IL) at Three Rivers (championship)
    District 5 -- Odessa vs. Western Texas (championship)
    District 6 -- Coffeyville
    District 7 -- Motlow State wins region; Walters State gets zone bid
    District 8 -- Eastern Florida State vs. St. Petersburg (championship)
    District 9 -- Laramie County at Gillette (championship)
    District 10 -- Spartanburg Methodist vs. Caldwell Tech (championship -- loser gets the zone bid)
    District 11 -- Indian Hills
    District 12 -- Shelton State
    District 13 -- Georgia Highlands vs. South Georgia Tech (championship)
    District 14 -- San Jacinto vs. Panola (championship -- loser gets zone bid)
    District 15 -- Jones County
    District 16 -- Vincennes

2. Houndawg

Houndawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why do I need to update my post? You took the words out of my mouth. Except you forgot to remind do everybody that with Hutch losing in Region 6 championship, the top three seeds for most of the year are going to use 3 of the four At-large, guaranteed!!!

Also, don't know why VU is showing as District 16 Championship when I'm pretty sure their championship game is tomorrow. Last team they beat in tourney was Shawnee and I believe Wabash Valley beat JAL in other semi. I know njcaa web shows Vincennes won the District but I can't find anything on anybody in Region 24's web pages to support that theory.

UPDATE
    Finally found the score on the WVUB radio station web page, although the NJCAA District championship page showed their tournament ran from the 8 thru 11. VU 82-70 over WVC. Anyway, you are correct, 14 teams have qualified, just don't know the logistics of some regions auto qualifiers vs. zone rotation qualifiers.

2 Houndawg, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    bluff_sideliner likes this.
  3. greydawg

greydawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Logical at-large would be #1 South Plains, #3 NW Florida, #2 Hutchinson, and ..........#7 McLennan? or #6 Ga. Highlands if they lose.....
    ..all ahead of #9 Mineral Area.

4. Houndawg

Expand Collapse

Georgia Highlands plays a team they've manhandled twice this season, but still reached the Championship game with a 13-19 record. Don't really expect them to lose, but you never know. Would then boil down to McLennan and MAC if they follow the poll. The first two years with the new format, they did just that. But the third year they jumped over a team or two to bring lower ranking teams (TX) in. Last year the at-large were #3, #4, #9 and #10 (#4 Eastern Florida, #9 McLennan, #10 Ranger, who made it to final four, then forfeited about 14 games for using ineligible player). So, they have generally followed poll, but not totally. I still feel like MAC will be strongly considered, especially if Three Rivers gets the auto bid. Actually, without considering the suspensions for another game, Moberly's resume would be even more impressive than MAC's, with a Three Rivers win.

5. 4everRaiders3

4everRaiders3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

South plains, hutch and northwest state are in

Last spot:
    McLennan
    Mac
    Sdcs

Assuming Georgia highlands wins and Eastern Florida wins. (Was ranked 11th but knocked off #3 could leap frog other teams)

Will committee send 3 teams from region 5? And 5 Total from Texas. Or choose mac?

6. Houndawg

Expand Collapse

They've sent 5 from Texas before, and they'll do it again. But I feel if Three Rivers wins, GHCC and EFSC both win, MAC gets in too. If St. Pete beats EFSC, look out. Region 8 could get the extra At-large. That would be wrong, but they've given two At-large to one of the Texas Regions before, even though when they went to this format, they originally stated that a region could only get three teams in when they got a zone qualifier too.

7. bluff_sideliner

Expand Collapse

Good analysis from both of you. Tonight should be interesting. Thanks to NJCAA TV and YouTube, I'm going to be doing a lot of channel-flipping on my laptop and on TV -- in addition to following the Raiders!

8. bluff_sideliner

Expand Collapse

District finals update (editing this as things update too)

District I -- Southern Idaho 92, Arizona Western 89. Southern Idaho wins District I bid to Hutch.
    Region 2 -- Connors State 69, Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa 64. Connors State wins District II bid to Hutch and Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa (NOT Northern Oklahoma-Enid, as the NJCAA says) gets the zone bid.
    District IV -- Highland (IL) 79, Three Rivers 75. Highland wins District IV bid to Hutch.
    Region 5 -- Odessa 94, Western Texas 74. Odessa wins District V bid to Hutch.
    Region 8 -- St. Petersburg 69, Eastern Florida State 59. St. Petersburg wins District VIII bid to Hutch.
    Region 9 -- Gillette 101, Laramie County 97. Gilette wins District IX bid to Hutch.
    Region 10 -- Spartanburg Methodist 61, Caldwell Tech 60. Spartanburg wins District X bid to Hutch and Caldwell Tech gets the zone bid.
    Region 17 -- Georgia Highlands 99, South Georgia Tech 80. Georgia Highlands wins District XIII bid to Hutch.
    Region 14 -- San Jacinto 92, Panola 67. San Jac wins District XIV bid to Hutch and Panola gets the zone bid.

8 bluff_sideliner, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017