Gutty, gutty showing by the Hounds.....

Discussion in 'Region 16 Board' started by marcus_aurelius, Mar 4, 2017.

1. marcus_aurelius

marcus_aurelius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Amazing resiliency showed by Moberly tonight, not to mention a lot of talent. Congrats to them and MAC on a great season.

I really feel like there are 3 R16 teams who could represent well at Hutch if given the opportunity.......

bluff_sideliner likes this.
  2. trcfan1

trcfan1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Hounds were right in it till about 10 min left Then fatigue and cramps took over. Hounds played well .Raiders didn't go inside till late in game. Hats off to both teams.

3. BiggDog

BiggDog Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Think the Hounds were down 8 with about 10 minutes left. Then the brick wall was raised. Very proud of our guys for giving absolutely everything they could.

4. BiggDog

Expand Collapse

And one other thing. What a fan base the Hounds have. I would presume that 99% of them new the situation and that it would take the second coming of the "miracle on ice" but still outnumbered other teams fans at least 3-1.

5. 4everRaiders3

4everRaiders3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great effort from Moberly. You should be very proud of them.

Fan support was great for Moberly. But the Drive is only 45 minutes and with 8 o'clock game, tough to make a 5 hour trip

6. oldroundballer

oldroundballer Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Can someone fill us in on what happened between Moberly and Sedalia? Thanks.

7. BiggDog

Expand Collapse

We make the 9 hour round trip to PB with little problem. But then we are only in our early 60's.

8. Houndawg

Houndawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually the drive from Moberly to LU, point to point, is closer to an hour. And if it takes you 5 hours to get to Jefferson City from Bluff (203 miles), you are a hazard on the highway (averaging 40 mph). It's 4.5 hours for us to travel from Moberly to your house, so that would make it about 3.5 to get from Jeff to Bluff. Quite a difference, but it is still a good haul. I guess we need to facter in that we are traveling downhill all the way when we go South. lol

9. Houndawg

Houndawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

oldballer,

Here is my account, and I had a pretty good vantage point. The names will be omitted because it is all heresay.
    With just over 9 minutes left in 2nd half, Moberly hit a three to go up 8 and Coach Smith called timeout. The whole bench including the coaches raced onto the floor, the players to do their chest bumps (which should be removed from the game in my opinion) and congregated at the FT circle in front of the Moberly bench. The "mob" actually squeezed in some of the SF players heading to their bench, and the official coming to the table to report the timeout. As the SF players made their way toward their bench, one of their players allegedly started the ordeal when he gave an illegal chuck to one of the Moberly players, both of whom were actually on court at the time of the timeout. The Moberly player kind of ignored the contact at first but then words possibly exchanged and then another shoving match started and the little scuffle began. When order was semi-restored, the officials got together for several minutes and reported there would be T's on both players in the original altercation, and a bench T on Moberly (never got an explanation on that one). The officials then reported that all bench players for both teams would be disqualified for leaving the bench during an altercation, and they were removed from the gym. The unsportmanlike T's offset, and the bench T gave SF 2 FT's. The game resumed with both teams playing with just the five guys on the court at the time of interruption. Moberly had Jabari Antwine, Leonard Harper-Baker, Brandon Better, Mar'qywell Jackson and Demarco Owens. State Fair finished with Onteral Woodson, Jr, Russell Baker, Vonny Irvin, Jamar Kemp, and Isaac Bassey on the court. In that final 9 minutes, Moberly was able to stretch the lead to 19 late and won by 18. After the game the coaches were informed that all of the players who left the bench to enter the altercation would serve 2 game suspensions.

The problem with that, is that technically, the players didn't leave the bench to join the fracas. They were already on the court celebrating the 3 pointer and successive time out. The "altercation" happened about 10 or more seconds after they already on the court. I didn't hear any accounts, but several people associated with the tournament overheard some other game officials discussing it in hospitality room Saturday night that since the incident happened during the timeout and players were already on the court, the officials should've shown some leniency under those circumstances. The rule does state that anybody who leaves the bench to join an altercation will be suspended for two games, but it doesn't address what should happen when an altercation breaks out after the players are already on the court during a timeout. I guess they all could've ran back to the bench once they realized what was happening, but you tell me how many people in the world would've done that. Especially in today's game. The players are bonded, they are family, they have each others back. And they are certainly more agressive.

That's all I got.

9 Houndawg, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. oldroundballer

oldroundballer Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thanks dawg. I'm not sure I've ever seen entire benches get tossed before. This certainly sounds like an unusual deal that possibly could have been handled a little less extreme especially considering how much consequence it was going to have. But players have to be in control of their emotions and stay disciplined too. Too bad for Moberly. They had a very good chance of winning the next 2 games. Three Rivers took advantage of MAC's and Moberly's not smart play and look to be the surprise Reg 16 rep. Say what you want about Coach Bess but one thing is for sure, his teams almost never beat themselves. MAC and Moberly pretty much did just that last weekend. Good luck to 3R.

11. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If Yancey had run a clean program at West Plains, State Fair is not even there, and this doesn't happen.

12. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

With all that said, SF got hosed because their coaches held 3 of their players on the bench. They never got on the floor at all during that time. They should NOT have been ejected at all. No way to know if it would have made any difference playing the last 9 minutes with 8 players instead of 5. Number 11 was on the floor for Moberly when it started and was the only one I saw actually throw a punch. It missed but he was allowed to stay in the game because he was already out there. There was also contact between a player for SF and a Moberly assistant when it all started. According to the newspaper article Coach Smith it was accidental, others that saw it said he pushed the player. I didn't see that part so I have no idea.

13. marcus_aurelius

marcus_aurelius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The first thing I saw was Smith storming toward one of his own players, apparently to give him a good butt-chewin'... A couple folks around me said he pushed a SF player out of the way in order to get to his own player. I did not see that, but the mood changed immediately on the court at this point....

Even though the physicality during the incident was minimal, there was a momentary heightening of tensions that left me with a feeling that things could get way out of hand. Fortunately, the pot was pulled off the burner just in time......

14. normstewart

normstewart Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We all know you are a Thomas hugger since he played and coached there. Let's see you you had your eyes on the SF bench and was also able to ascertain the Betters threw a punch. Now that is some outstanding peripheral vision. Unless you have video proof it is hearsay and not factual. If you happen to beat Highland/Kennedy King enjoy your one and done trip to the armpit of basketball.

15. bluff_sideliner

bluff_sideliner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Nice sportsmanship, norm :rolleyes:o_O

16. greydawg

greydawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Tape shows no punches. Shoving and posturing.....yes. Punches....no.

17. bluff_sideliner

bluff_sideliner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

As happy as I am to see Three Rivers win a region title, I hate that it happened the way it did. I know in Major League Baseball that suspensions from postseason incidents usually are served the next season. Hmmm...

18. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't what tape that is but number 11 threw and missed a wild punch. I don't need a tape to know that.

19. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Norm I was on the end of the gym across from the SF bench. I was watching the thang on the Moberly end and knowing the rule in such an occasion, I took a look to see if SF players came off the bench. Their coaches, and AD, also knowing the rule, were holding them back. They did NOT get on the floor anywhere near the action on the other end. I guess if the rule means being inbounds in front of their own bench 45' from the gathering in from of the Moberly bench as being on the floor, then they were technically 'on the floor.' I'd bet the officials were way too busy trying to keep things from getting out of hand they had no idea where those 3 SF players were.
    If you think 3R is a 'one and done' IF they get to Hutch I guess you didn't think much MAC's chances out there either since 3R beat them 2 out of 3 this season. :cool:

20. 4everRaiders3

4everRaiders3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I was on state fair end. Words were exchanged between sfcc and Moberly players after timeout. Moberly coach tried to get between them, lightly shoved sfcc player to break it up, sfcc players then rushed in. Sfcc coaches held two players on bench. Jamar kemp had a bloody mouth when he came back over.

21. MACbballfan

MACbballfan New Member
    Expand Collapse

Number 11 most certainly threw a punch. I saw it as did several of the people sitting around me. There is no doubt about that.

22. normstewart

normstewart Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Mac fan, you must be practicing the Trump phone tapping rule, just say it without any physical proof. If you have video proof, show it.

23. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I saw it as did many others. We were wondering if he would be kicked out when the dust settled. He was not, the punch did not land, and his swing may have been one the technical fouls called. There were 3, two on the floor on somebody and one on the Moberly bench. The two offset so SF got 2 free throws from the Moberly bench T and hit one of them.