At-Large Bids Men's DI

Discussion in 'Region 16 Board' started by Houndawg, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Houndawg

Houndawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

As predicted, Eastern Florida State College has received one of the four AL bids. They are releasing them one at a time every five minutes. The an. . . . . . . ticipaaaation is killing me.

South Plains and Northwest Florida also grab an AL bid. Surprised by those picks. Lol

And 4th and final AL goes to (drum roll please), Hutchinson CC. WOW! Didn't suspect that one, did anybody else?

1 Houndawg, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    bluff_sideliner likes this.
  2. bluff_sideliner

bluff_sideliner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You called it well Houndawg!

3. Hound Supporter!

Hound Supporter! Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't care what team it is but they SHOULD NOT be seated any higher than a 12 to 15 seed and for sure not get a BUY ! Oh wait, let's remember Hutch needs a BUY because they have HOME COURT ADVANTAGE !

Way to go NJCAA ! Maybe that is why ESPN and any other sport organizations don't follow the Hutch Tournament that much?

BiggDog and bluff_sideliner like this.
  4. bluff_sideliner

Expand Collapse

I'm not as bothered about at-large teams being seeded high -- South Plains is probably still a top-five team despite losing to Western Texas in the region semis -- but part of me almost wishes they'd move the tournament to Wichita just to offset some of Hutch's homecourt advantage (plus Koch Arena and Intrust Bank Arena are both legit venues and would make great host sites -- and it's not that bad of a drive for Hutch fans, since K-96 is a four-lane expressway between Hutch and Wichita).
    However, the men's tournament needs to take a page from the women's tourney and go to eight at-large bids instead of four at-large and four zones. It wouldn't do what I'd really like to see (an expanded tournament with more sites and the final 8 teams meet in Kansas)

5. Ubuibme

Ubuibme Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

All of these changes were made to benefit Hutch. Look how much higher Hutch was seeded than Coffeyville, Tell me that is not crooked. I do not believe the NJCAA can be saved, Remember the NIT? The NJCAA Tournament has been run like the Hutch invitational for several years. Now that is what it is.

6. bluff_sideliner

Expand Collapse

I'm not that bothered that Hutch got seeded higher than Coffeyville -- aside from winning two of three against Hutch, the Red Ravens were pretty average this year.
    I am very curious to see how the Dragons do against St. Pete next round. Hutch's strength of schedule has not impressed me

7. Houndawg

Expand Collapse

Just in case all of the critics missed it, the final four was the four at large teams. And Hutch beat all three of the Region 8 (Florida) teams to capture the crown.

8. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wonder how that would have gone if they played in Florida?

9. greydawg

greydawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They would have lost to Odessa, a Texas school.

10. 3Rfan

3Rfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Then what the heck does the 3 Florida teams have to do with it? I was questioning how the games would have gone if Hutch had played those team in Florida. :confused:

11. greydawg

greydawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

12. Houndawg

Expand Collapse

I'd say the Florida teams would've won 2 of 3. Matter of fact, I believe that out of the final four teams, if the tournament was held at any of the other team's home court (Hutch on the road), those teams would've been the favorites and probably won the Championship.

But no chance to move tournament from Hutch now for at least 25 years, unless the tournamant goes broke or other infrastructure in Hutch gets so bad the don't have the resources to host the tournament at some time in the future.